We at PkmnCards seek to minimize the amount of information that we collect about our users. Any information we do collect is used only to provide a functional user experience and make informed decisions about how to improve our website, pkmncards.com. We believe our users’ information is private, and we do not share their information with anyone.
Information You Provide to Us
- Basic Account Information: When you register an account at pkmncards.com, you will be required to enter—at most—an email address, username, display name, and password. You may, however, use our Services without registering an account, and no information is required from you beyond those four details to register or maintain account.
- Public Profile Information: You may optionally provide a display name, website, and favorite card to your registered account. This information will be displayed publicly.
- Comment Information: When you leave a comment on our website, we collect the data you provide in the comments form, including your name, email, website, and the comment itself, and also your IP address and browser user agent string to help with spam detection.
- Note: If you are under 13 years of age, you may not register for, post a comment on, or use our website.
Information We Collect Automatically
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as your browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services—e.g., when you log into or register for our website.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect the “last seen” time for each registered user on pkmncards.com. We use this type of information to gain insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also collect information about you from other sources. For example, if you pledge to our Patreon campaign, we will import the information Patreon provides about you and your pledge into our Service to provide you with a user account that has the correct permissions, like the ability to browse advertisement-free and enter a display name to be included in the Special Thanks list. The information we receive from other sources, like Patreon, depends on the information you’ve provided to them and they’ve made available to us. Also, if you register for Disqus to post a comment, Disqus will forward your comment, chosen name, website, and email to our Services so that we may later display your comment if we no longer use the Disqus commenting service.
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services—e.g., to set up and maintain your account or charge you for any of our paid Services, if we offer paid Services;
- To further develop and improve our Services—e.g., by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Services;
- To communicate with you—e.g., through an email to solicit your feedback or keep you up to date on our Services; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations, and serve relevant advertisements.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that:
- The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account—e.g., in order to enable proper access our Services on your device; or
- The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or
- The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your information—e.g., to provide and update our Services, to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard our Services, to communicate with you, to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services, and to personalize your experience; or
How We Share Information
We do not sell or inconspicuously share our users’ information.
We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of PkmnCards, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction.
Visitor comments may also be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is disclosed publicly. Public information is visible to other users and may be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. For example, when you leave a comment, your comment, name, and website will be visible to the public. Likewise, when you upvote or downvote a comment, your public profile may be associated with and publicly visible alongside the vote.
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it—which are described in the How And Why We Use Information section above—and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to pkmncards.com, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to our Services and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time. PkmnCards administrators can also see and edit that information.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, like a display name, website, or favorite card. You can also choose not to comment on our website, or upvote or downvote other users’ comments.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: You can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using our Services, with the drawback that certain features of our Services may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
- Export Your Account: If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us.
- Delete Your Account: If you no longer want to use our Services, you may also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, scroll down to the How To Reach Us section.
EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
Ads Services Provided by Others
When you use PkmnCards, we collect statistical data about the device and network you used to access the site, including:
- Your browser version (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc.)
- Your operating system (macOS, Windows, iPhone, etc.)
- The size of your screen
- Your system language
- Your network provider (Verizon, O2, Rogers, etc.)
- Your country
We also collect behavior data. For example, we keep track of which buttons and links people click to get around on the site and how often they come back.
This information is stored with Google Analytics and is anonymized and aggregated. When possible, we disable any Google Analytics data sharing settings to limit the amount of additional analysis Google can perform with this data.
Only PkmnCards administrators have access our analytics data. We collect this information so that we can make better decisions about how to improve PkmnCards. We never sell or trade this information to any other company.
You have the option to opt-out of Google Analytics using their browser extension or any of the available content blocking plugins for your platform. You can also set a Do Not Track setting in your browser, which Google Analytics will honor.
Embedded Content from Other Websites
PkmnCards forces HTTPS for all Services, including our website. Information you submit to PkmnCards is private and cannot be seen by your internet service provider or anyone else on your network.
Our website is hosted by TigerTech.net, located in California.